Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sun-dried Tomato and Fontina Risotto



Have you ever tried to photograph risotto? Yeah, not so easy. This is the best I could do. This risotto was not very amazing in my opinion. Not every recipe I try turns out as I would hope, so I think its important to post those as well. Maybe it was because I used vegetable broth instead?

Sun-dried Tomato and Fontina Risotto (http://willisgraves.blogspot.com)

Ingredients:
4 cups (1 box) chicken broth (I used vegetable broth for both to make this vegetarian)
1 cup beef broth (used vegetable broth)
1/2 cup dry white wine or sherry (used white wine)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon oil from sun-dried tomatoes
1/3 cup finely minced onion
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/3 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (that were packed in oil)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 ounces Fontina cheese, rind removed, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Bring the broth to a steady simmer in a saucepan on top of the stove.

Heat the butter and oil in a heavy 4-quart casserole over moderate heat. Add the onion and saute for 1 to 2 minutes, until it begins to soften, being careful not to brown it.

Next add rice and stir for 1 minute using a wooden spoon, making sure all the grains are well coated. Add the wine and stir until it is completely absorbed. Begin to add the simmering broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently. Wait until each addition is almost completely absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and tomato paste after the rice has been cooking for 10 minutes. Continue to add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time stirring frequently, reserving about 1/4 cup to add at the end. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.

After approximately 18 minutes, when the rice is tender but still firm, add the reserved 1/4 cup broth, Fontina, parsley, and Parmesan and stir vigorously until the cheeses are melted and combined with the rice. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

This combination sounds so good!! I can't wait to try this. Also - your dogs are so cute!! My mom has two cavaliers. They are just the sweetest dogs.

Lisa said...

Oh I just saw your note at the top. I do think chicken broth has more flavor than vegetable broth. Also, I noticed you only used two tablespoons of parm cheese. Did you top it off with more cheese before eating it? That would have maybe helped too. I like the flavors used though so maybe try chicken broth instead of veg next time. And more cheese!