This is a recipe taught to me by my mom. We used to have it every Christmas Eve (when I was older). I made it for a party we were hosting this weekend. Its a great way to feed a crowd.
Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna (Family recipe)
1 tab olive oil
2 packages sliced/washed mushrooms
1-2 packages frozen chopped spinach (defrosted and press out excess water) (Depends on how much spinach you want. I've done it with both)
1 small low fat ricotta cheese (15 oz?)
1 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1 mozzarella ball or stick sliced (8+ ounces, enough to cover the top of a 9x13 pan)
2 small jars of your favorite tomato sauce
2 tea red pepper flakes
1 package lasagna noodles
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add mushroom and cook until done. Remove and let cool.
3. In a large bowl mix ricotta cheese, mushrooms, spinach, and red pepper flakes. Add a bit of tomato sauce to make it easier to mix. Add a dash of salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
4. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.
5. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray. Lay lasagna noodles on the bottom until its totally covered. Overlap noodles slightly.
6. Layer ricotta mixture, then top with spaghetti sauce so its generously covered. If you like your lasagna more wet, be more generous.
7. Sprinkle shredded mozarella cheese over the sauce layer.
8. Add another layer of noodles as in step 5. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
9. Top with final layers of noodles.
10. Cover the top noodle layer with the sliced mozarella cheese.
11. Spray foil with nonstick spray and cover 9x13 pan.
12. Put into preheated over and bake until bubbly (about 45 minutes). Remove foil for final 5 minutes of cooking time to brown (you can also broil for 2 minutes if you wish).