Happy New Year! We are back from our vacation, so its back to cooking up some delicious meals.
First up for the new year is, Chicken Parmesan. This is something my mom taught me how to make when I first started cooking and it was my signature dish.
Serves 6, or you can have 3 meals for 2 people like we did.
3 chicken breast halves
italian seasoned bread crumbs (1 - 1.5 cups or so)
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 8 oz package shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Pound chicken breast halves until thinner (1/4 inch thick is fine or a bit thicker). Cut into pieces (not bite size, but maybe 2 pieces were half of a chicken breast). For 3 chicken breast halves, I had 8 pieces.
2. Crack 2 eggs in shallow bowl or plate. Beat until egg white and yolk are combined.
3 Put bread crumbs in a shallow bowl or plate.
4. Dip chicken into eggs until coated, then into the bread crumbs until covered. Shake off excess. Repeat for all chicken.
5. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. You want the olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. I just eyeball this. Use medium heat.
6. Once oil is hot, place chicken in pan. Let it cook until the breaded side down is totally brown. Flip and brown the other side.
7. Place lid on skillet and turn heat down a bit so chicken can finish cooking.
8. Once chicken is cooked, cover with spaghetti sauce and heat until bubbly.
9. Cover chicken with mozzarella cheese and place under broiler until melted and slightly browned.