Monday, January 26, 2009

Blueberry Buttermilk Scones

I love scones that are traditional and not sweet. I took a classic buttermilk scone recipe and just added blueberries.



Blueberry Buttermilk Scones (foodnetwork.com)

Ingredients

3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup currants (I used blueberries)
1 tablespoon heavy cream, for brushing

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Add butter and mix with your fingertips to a coarse meal. Add buttermilk and mix just until combined.

Transfer dough to a floured board and divide into 2 parts. Roll each to 3/4 inch thick rounds. I would then put the blueberries in the middle and combine the two rounds. Then cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

Miss Whitman said...

Tanya, thank you for your blueberry buttermilk scone recipe. I made the scones this morning for my grandmother and myself, and we both enjoyed them. My own complaint is the HUGE amount of butter in them! It was a little overwhelming...do you think we could make it with just 1 stick of butter?

Tanya said...

Sarahgse - I'm not familiar with any recipes that use less butter. At least you are cutting some calories with the buttermilk scones if you use the low fat buttermilk. Better than cream!